Monday, July 13, 2009

Our ok 4th of July


So the 4th of July out here is normally pretty sweet, or so we hear. The city decided to cancel the fireworks over the bay due to lack of funds, I totally understand that reason but my question is why didn't they get private donors or businesses - that would have been great marketing even to do a little show. Not only did they cancel the show they banned you from being able to do your own fireworks and claimed it was for public safety concerns and if you were caught you would be fined $1,000. How lame is that, a 4th of July with absolutely NO fireworks. Anyways, I could vent on that for a while so I will just let it go - we did go downtown for the parade that morning and I was SO excited because I really love parades (almost as much as fireworks) so I made sure we left about 1 hr before the parade started so we could get a good viewing spot. Turns out we didn't have to leave that early, but who knew. The parade started out well with some military men and women and police officers -the usual - and then it seemed like we had to wait about 3-5 minutes between each group/float/band or whatever that came through and so by the end even I had lost interest and I am one easy person to please when it comes to things like that so we left early and looked at a seal out in the water instead. - by the way the bow and bracelet are complements of Mandy, thanks!
Since we didn't have fireworks that night, aarrggghhh, we went to the park and just looked out into the bay for a little and then ran to the store for some milk. While there we noticed that they were having a really good sale on their soda so we thought we would stock up so Justin wouldn't have to keep buying them out of the machines (so expensive). We were picking out his sodas and this slightly overweight guy came up and told us that everything we could buy in that isle was totally bad for you and that we really should not be teaching our child to drink sodas because it is really bad for them as well and then he sighed really heavy and ran off. I had to giggle though because we were like the only people in the store who didn't have alcohol in their cart and I don't even drink soda. It was pretty funny and there were no witty comebacks because it was really unexpected and he ran off really quick. So that was our ok 4th of July.

3 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Oh she is so cute! I LOVE the bows. That is on my LONG list of things to make. I better get it done while she still lets me put them in. The bracelet is so cute too. Your sister is so creative.

Britany said...

haha! Don't you just love crazy people? You should keep this experience in mind for next year. Now you'll know better and come down to Kansas for the 4th. We can light fireworks anywhere, and as an added bonus we also have fireworks shows!

Ryan... said...

FIVE MORE WEEKS!! Yay!!