Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Anyone good with cars?

So we have been getting absolutely horrible gas mileage lately and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to improve it since gas prices are outrageously high. We have changed the oil, the air filter, the pcv valve and I am thinking about trying a fuel cleaner and replacing the fuel filter. We do live in an extremely hilly area so I know that is going to knock the mpg down but I would like to get over 10mpg if possible. So, any cheap ideas on how to fix that?

6 comments:

Blaire said...

On my car, my MPG went down when i changed the fuel filter. I guess it was a little clogged and made it so less gas got through.

Disclaimer:
I will not assume responsibility if you follow my non professional advice :)

Megan said...

Sorry, I don't know anything about cars, I'll ask Daniel though. Sounds like your 4th was kind of a bummer...we didn't do fireworks either. I love the picture of Elliette though! :) I have to admit, that made me laugh about the fat guy commenting on your soda..gosh Melissa, you should so know better! :)

CHRIS!!!!!!! said...

I've heard that filling your tires to right pressure will help, but I personally think it's a load of whooey. On long trips getting a higher grade of gas will yield more for your buck, but only on long trips. I think that most things you might try will only be good for long trips. If you are just running around town the only way to get better gas mileage is only go downhill both ways or get a new car.

jessica said...

whenever possible, put your car in nuetral and coast!!

seriously, works like a charm for jon.

Justin and Melissa said...

Oh yeah, thanks Toph, I did forget to mention that we have filled up our tires to the appropriate pressure, that was our first move so I had forgot about that one - it did help a bit.

Brittney said...

We too have a problem with ours, and we changed everything too and can't figure it out. So if you figure it out pass your knowledge on to us!